Now a leading digital agency in Swansea comprising of 8 full time staff,
from the humble beginnings of a bedroom sole trader…
- Ben was a finalist in the Entrepreneur Wales – Service Industry Entrepreneur of the Year 2016
- Ben was the winner of the IOD Wales – Small Business Director of the Year 2016
- Copper Bay Creative were top 3 finalists in the Swansea Bay Business Awards – Small Business of the Year 2016
- Ben was listed in the top 35 businessmen under 35 in Wales 2015
- Ben was listed as a Rising Star of Wales 2014
- Copper Bay Creative were top 6 finalists for a national business growth award in 2014
Once upon a time there was a techie creating websites from a chalet (not a shed) and a designer making logos from his home office (not a spare bedroom).
On a winter evening in 2008 they were both at a networking event for small businesses in Swansea and met via a mutual contact. They started sending work to each other every now and again, and over the years they worked more and more closely together – capitalising on each other’s complementary skills to make beautiful websites and printed materials.
Over time their working relationship grew and in the summer of 2012 they moved into an office together while formally collaborating under the umbrella company, That Useful Company, Wales’ first marketing cooperative.
Then due to continued collaboration they grew to a company of 11 people between them and shared the majority of their clients. It quickly became apparent that their businesses could be streamlined by merging Beach Software, Star in a Jar and That Printing Company to create Copper Bay Creative. This meant using the same great designers and developers and support staff, but only having one company to work with – and a lot less paperwork to do behind the scenes!
Today, Copper Bay Creative, is run by it’s very professional and capable employees, headed up by David Mortimer, but still led by multi award winning entrepreneur Ben Wheeler, with a team of 10 experts working from their own premises in Swansea.